On April 8, a one-night only special presentation of “Highways & Byways” will feature a lineup including a world premiere by acclaimed young Chicago composer Dan Visconti, the Chicago-based Kontras Quartet, and legendary jazz artist Branford Marsalis, at Music Box, the premiere concert venue in downtown San Diego.
The show will include the world premiere of “Beg, Borrow or Steal,” composer Dan Visconti's quintet for string quartet and saxophone, which Kontras and Art of Élan co-commissioned. This special collaborative concert includes pieces that are rooted in various folk traditions, tying together the old and new, the familiar and less-traveled, the classical and jazz/blues traditions.
- Erwin Schulhoff - Duo for Violin & Cello
- Heitor Villa-Lobos - Assobio a Jato ("The Jet Whistle") for Flute & Cello
- Dan Visconti - Black Bend
- Osvaldo Golijov - Tenebrae
- Dan Visconti - Beg, Borrow or Steal
- Adolph Busch - Quintet for Alto Saxophone & String Quartet